It’s officially that time of year in North Carolina when you can smell ACC basketball fever in the air! Here in the South, we tend to take college sports pretty seriously. Whether you’re painting your chest orange in Death Valley during the fall or freezing your tail off in Krzyzewskiville waiting for tickets come winter, chances are you have a loyalty and you’re sticking to it. Why not incorporate your love for your alma mater or favorite team into your wedding? Here are some ideas about how:
1. Your venue: Many colleges and universities have beautiful outdoor areas if you’re getting married during the warmer months, and oftentimes alumni centers, performance halls, and university-owned chapels can be rented as venues as well. Nothing shows your love for your school like saying your vows on sacred ground!
2. Your cake: Traditionally, the groom’s cake is where a couple might give a nod to their favorite sports team. You can also just go ahead and deck out your wedding cake, or add a more subtle touch with a college-themed cake topper.
3. Your bouquet: Color coordinate your bouquet to match your favorite team’s colors, or tie on a lovely little bouquet charm like the pretty ASU bauble below.
4. Your garter: This will be a fun little surprise for your guests (and your partner!) when they realize what you’ve been wearing the whole day under that big dress.
5. Pull in a mascot: Nothing gets the party started like your favorite mascot jumping around with you on the dance floor!
6. Your accessories: Pull out your class ring or accessorize your wedding look with your alma mater’s colors: think shoes, socks, bow ties, jewelry, etc.
7. Your favors: The possibilities are endless here…just pick anything you can personalize and go for it. Y’all know I love some good ol’ cookie favors…and they can be crafted to reflect any sports loyalty! Koozies are another great customizable favor.
8. Your exit: Pass out pom poms, foam fingers, or rally towels to your guests to wave during your ceremony or reception exit. One of our 2014 couples pulled this idea off perfectly and even included state-themed signs beside the pom pom buckets. Too cute!
What do you think, belles? Will you be borrowing any of these ideas?