At the end of a week that has been very heavy, I honestly wasn’t sure whether to post my regularly scheduled Small Joys. Is it okay to express positive emotions when so many people (including me) have been feeling the opposite of joyful; when multiple Black people have been murdered this week by people in positions of power; when so many are feeling traumatized and tired and angry?
As an empath who feels my own emotions and the emotions of others VERY DEEPLY, I have been learning over the years that it is healthy and right and good to feel the full spectrum of emotions, sometimes all at one time. That is life. And we are capable. We are capable of holding space for both grief and happiness, anger and contentment, death and life. So I do that today. I reflect on joy even in the midst of a time of great tragedy. It is more important than ever that we seek out good and refill our cups with the things that bring us joy so we can do the important work of dealing with the not good stuff too.
Here are the little things bringing me joy lately:
1. The Silent Patient. This novel by Alex Michaelides is my favorite book so far this year! It grabbed my attention, and I couldn’t put it down. Suspenseful and fast-paced! As a social worker, I really enjoyed all of the commentary on therapy and mental health.
2. Rufus’s DNA test. Wes and I were SO excited to finally do a DNA test for Rufus to find out what breed(s) he has in him! We were both surprised and not surprised by his results: 50% beagle, 25% Jack Russell terrier, 12.5% Miniature Pinscher, and 12.5% straight up mutt. We expected the beagle and Jack Russell terrier, but the Miniature Pinscher came out of nowhere! We used the Wisdom Panel kit and really liked it. It was easy to do the DNA sample and didn’t take long at all to get the results (about 2.5 weeks).
3. Gluten free dessert tasting. While quarantining at Hilton Head Island recently, I picked up some goodies from The G-Free Spot. Oh my heavens. It is just amazing to be able to walk into a bakery and pick ANYTHING out of the case. This is such a rare occurrence for me. So torn on my favorite…the mini key lime pies were excellent as were the brookies!
4. The beach at sunset. Speaking of Hilton Head…is there anything better than the beach at sunset? I’d be hard pressed to think of anything I love more.
5. Becoming on Netflix. I watched this documentary showcasing Michelle Obama’s “Becoming” book tour and found myself tearing up the ENTIRE time. Maybe it’s because it has been an emotional week already, maybe it’s just because she’s so inspiring, but I was all up in my feels in a GOOD way.
6. Quinn Peanut Butter Filled Pretzel Nuggets. I got a major craving for peanut butter filled pretzels after a group text with some friends and set out to find a gluten free version. They are pricey, but I felt like it was worth the splurge on account of #quarantine. I enjoyed them immensely. Hadn’t had these things in years and years! I bought mine on Thrive Market (use this link for 25% off your first Thrive Market order) but you can also get them on Amazon.
7. The Help. I re-watched The Help recently (Wes hadn’t seen it…what the what??) and was blown away by it all over again! Some seriously courageous women. And great acting.
8. Someone was recently selling a used autopsy table on Facebook Marketplace in my area…super strange. But the comments on the listing were GOLD. So many great puns. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever seen listed on Facebook Marketplace?
9. New phone background. I updated my phone background for summer to the image below via Pinterest. All the beachy vibes, y’all.
What’s been bringing you joy lately, friends?
P.S. – This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you purchase a product using a link from this post. Read more here about my disclaimers/disclosures.